<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 18, 2005

Soldiers' Angels Needs Your Help 



In another week or so it will be one year since I took the plunge and followed Hugh Hewitt's advise and signed up to help support a Soldier on active duty status serving our country in Iraq. I'm glad I did and now I'm asking you to help too.

Hugh promoted
Soldiers' Angels on his blog and wrote about their commendable service in trying to make sure that "no Soldier goes unloved". You see, there are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines (both men and women) serving our country in Iraq and Afghanistan who don't get any mail or support from home. Soldiers' Angels works to match these heros with someone back in the states who is willing to "adopt them".

Here is why YOU are needed. It has been proven time and time again, care packages, letters, and cards help bring back a healthy soldier. You can make a difference!

“When your name is called during mail call, your heart skips a beat. Days are long and boring, punctuated with moments of fear and confusion. Mail from home keeps me going.”

Dear "Army Mom,"

Just wanted to take a second to tell you what happened in Iraq today. It was raining - and I was just coming in to my headquarters when I passed by one of my newer soldiers - an immigrant from the former Soviet Union - and one of my BEST privates. I was stopped in my tracks, for behold - on such a dreary day he was smiling. I was being funny (at first) and I said "awww you got a package with some goodies? Who sent that to you?" And as I expected to hear him say "my mom (or something like that)" he turned his face to me and said "I don't know...." he had a smile on his face.....and as I saw his eyes glazing he said " ...that's why I was smiling" and at that my eyes began to glaze too. I can never take for granted their service, not for one minute - not for one second. And now...even in a hell hole like this - God has sent yet another Angel. I'll bet you didn't know that did you? How truly amazing - how close we come to God in such a far away place. You made one of my soldiers smile today - sitting there by himself - and for that, you have touched my soul. I'd thank you, but that's not why Angels do what they do (I know). So instead I'll just say - Well Done! You can rest easy, message received. And I'll do my best to bring them home. I owe God one. Thank you from my soul. PS From the Fourth Army, son of a mom like you no doubt.

When you adopt a Soldier you agree to write a letter or a post card to them every week or so. That simple act of writing on a regular basis can mean a lot to someone half a world away. If your finances permit, you can send a care package once a month or so.

To adopt a Soldier, go the the Soldiers' Angels web site and click on the link on the left Adopt A Soldier. Fill out the form and then submit. That's all. When you get approved you will receive an email with your Soldier's name and mailing address. A card, letter or note takes only a first class stamp - 37 cents. A care package can be simple or lavish, either will be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a group you belong to (work, church etc.) would be willing to help defray expenses or help collect care package items.

Soldiers' Angels is dedicated to ensuring that our military know they are loved and supported during and after their deployment into harms way.

I encourage you to adopt a Soldier today. If you are a blogger, I encourage you to pass on the message.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

Hewitt Inspired Blogs


Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.